Wednesday, February 16, 2011

worm update

I'm sure everyone is curious about how the worms are. Who wouldn't be? So here it is. There are more of them. A lot more of them. My worms have at least doubled and I recently had to move half of them over to another container. Honest Ed's supplied me with a reasonably priced tupperware which I drilled some holes in to. I'm not sure I put in enough, but it is an easy fix if not. I also noticed that the kit I bought had a small drainage type vent near the bottom. I did not add this to my new tupperware but haven't noticed a need for drainage since the first major leak. I'm glad to report there have been no more leaks of compost water since then.


To get this new kit started I layered some shredded newspaper on the bottom of the tupperware, added some compost that I hadn't been able to fit in my overly full initial compost worm haven, spooned half the worms and compost from the initial worm bin into the new one and added another layer of shredded newspaper for good measure. I plan on giving this to a friend to take care of his compost needs as I'm not sure I can provide enough vegetable scraps, egg shells and coffee grinds for this number of worms. Stay tuned for more updates on the exciting world of worms!

No comments:

Post a Comment